ADVERTISEMENT FOR Ph.D. POSITIONS
The Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, headed by Dr. Shruthi S. Vembar, invites applications
for Ph.D. positions from highly motivated individuals. Located within the Institute of
Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB), Bengaluru, a pre-eminent academic institute
in the country, the molecular parasitology laboratory (a.k.a. @Plasmobees) uses NGS,
CRISPR/Cas and omics approaches to understand the biology of the fascinating unicellular,
obligate intracellular, eukaroytic parasite that causes malaria, Plasmodium spp.
The successful candidate(s) will work on diverse projects such as the characterization of novel
epigenetic DNA and histone modifications in parasite gene regulation, functional analysis of
atypical RNA-binding proteins, development of state-of-the-art CRISPR/Cas and other gene
manipulation technologies to perform functional genomics, anti-malarial drug discovery, and
modeling host-parasite interaction using systems biology approaches. All of these projects use
a combination of molecular biology, biochemical, cell biological, CRISPR/Cas, NGS and
bioinformatics techniques, and relevant training will be provided. The selected candidate(s) can
avail on-campus accommodation.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree (M.Sc. OR equivalent) in Life Sciences/ Biochemistry/ Molecular
Biology/ Biotechnology/ Zoology/ Genetics or related subjects with at least 70% of marks
or 7.5 CGPA from a recognized university.
- Valid fellowship (CSIR/ UGC/ DST/ DBT/ ICMR/ ICAR/ AYUSH-NET or any other
- Strong aptitude for laboratory work; should be detail-oriented and organised with the
ability to prioritise.
- Ability to carry out maintenance of general laboratory equipment and resources.
- Basic IT skills that include familiarity with Microsoft Office packages and statistical data
analyses; experience with programming and NGS analysis will be an added plus.
- Willingness to learn, and should be a team player.
- Prior experience of working in a research laboratory or industry is preferred (min. 6
- Hands-on experience in basic molecular biology techniques, maintenance of cell lines
and transfection procedures, microscopy, spectrophotometry, protein purification and/or
analytical methods such as HPLC is preferred.
31st August, 2021
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter outlining their motivation and a CV that
clearly demonstrates relevant practical expertise and skills as a single pdf file to
email@example.com, addressed to Dr. Shruthi Vembar. The subject line of the
email must include “Application for PhD position”. Only shortlisted candidates will be
contacted for interview.
IBAB is an autonomous institute engaged in education, research and entrepreneurial
support programs and is based at Electronic City, Bengaluru. The institute offers a unique
master’s degree program with dual specialization in bioinformatics and biotechnology as
well as an interdisciplinary PhD program. IBAB has strong research programs in various
disciplines, excellent infrastructure and an environment suitable for cutting-edge research.
For more details, visit https://www.ibab.ac.in/research/shruthi-s-vembar/