Realising the need for data scientists and data engineers to handle the challenges in biological and medical data, the Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) is pleased to announce the launch of an innovative one – year PG Diploma Programme in ‘Big Data Biology’ in collaboration with the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT-B), Bangalore and funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
Degree Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Big Data Biology | Duration 1 years
Recent advances in diverse areas of life sciences such as high-throughput genomics, computational neuroscience, biopharma, medical and cellular imaging have led to the generation of massive data. This poses a huge challenge to researchers to handle such large data sets, analyse and interpret them. The advent of big data has impacted personalised medicine and health care services significantly. Efficient computing platforms and tools, sophisticated measurement technologies, Cloud Computing and Artificial Intelligence have transformed life sciences and health care, enabling unprecedented interpretation of data and novel outcomes. This interdisciplinary programme will focus on Big Data in Life Sciences and will help explore the opportunities and challenges of handling big data in health care and imaging and will impart engineering approaches to problem solving in this emerging area.
UNIQUENESS OF THE PG DIPLOMA PROGRAMME IN BIG DATA BIOLOGY
- Interdisciplinary programme with courses that strengthen the computational, statistical and engineering components required to analyse large scale data in life sciences
- Courses handled by faculty from IBAB and IIIT-Bangalore and industry experts
- Integrated learning experience involving coursework and industry and research oriented project work
- Comprehensive curriculum comprising diverse areas in Data Science with applications in Life Sciences, including development of machine learning algorithms, genomics, imaging and image processing and clinical data analysis
- Extensive interaction with industry including mentoring and selected teaching by subject matter experts from industry
- 100% track record of placements of the two institutes and their established industry network
- Curriculum with a blend of computing and life sciences that will open opportunities in diverse areas
IBAB launched its first educational programme, the Postgraduate Diploma in Bioinformatics in 2002. Since then it has always facilitated its students’ academic or corporate internships and subsequent job placements. It has maintained a 95% or higher placement for each batch of students. Details of student-wise placements of the first batch of PGDBDB to graduate will be available here.
- Indian Nationals with B.E. / B.Tech. degree in Biotechnology / Biomedical Technology / Bioinformatics / Computer Science and Engineering / Electronics and Communication Engineering / Electrical and Electronics Engineering / Information Technology or equivalent degree or M.Sc. degree in Biotechnology / Bioinformatics / Biochemistry / Computer Science / Information Technology
- Statistics or equivalent degree with a minimum of 60% in the qualifying examination
National level entrance examination followed by interview at IBAB.
A monthly stipend of Rs. 10,000 will be provided to selected candidates
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
All fees can be paid through cash, NEFT or by a Demand Draft (DD) drawn in favour of ‘Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology’ payable at Bengaluru. NEFT details are given below.
Name of the Account: Institute of Bioinformatics & Applied Biotechnology
Account No: 036005011787
Type of Account: Current Account
Name of the Bank : ICICI
Bank Branch: Electronic City
IFSC Code : ICIC0000360
DETAILS OF THE ENTRANCE EXAMINATION
The Entrance examination will consist of four sections:
- Verbal and Analytical Aptitude
- Programming and Computing Ability
- Life Sciences
Syllabus for Programming and Computing Ability
- Array technique/Array order reversal/Partitioning of arrays
- Dynamic data structure/Binary tree search/Linked list search
- Fundamental algorithm/ Generation of Fibonacci sequence/Summation of a set of numbers
- Recursive algorithm/Towers of Hanoi Problem
- Recursive algorithm/Quicksort
- Merging sorting and /Sorting by selection/binary search
Note : Questions in this section will test the candidate’s logic and not programming capabilities. This is to encourage students with non computing backgrounds.
|1||Application Start Date||21st September 2020|
|2||Deadline for Applications||10th November 2020|
|3||Date of online entrance examination||22nd November 2020|
|4||Date of Interview||12th – 14th December 2020|
|5||Commencement of Classes||25th January 2021|