The advancements in NGS technologies and the ability to analyze large amounts of data are bound to have a dramatic impact on almost all domains of life, including healthcare, agriculture, food security, the environment and so on.
It is necessary to initiate India-relevant, collaborative research programmes to translate the benefits of this emerging area. Further, the global demand for well-trained professionals in genomics and big data analysis necessitates intensive training and educational programmes in this area to create adequate manpower and employment opportunities. Therefore, the Bio-IT Centre of IBAB, with support from the Govt. of Karnataka, has launched a research and training programme in genomics.
The following are some of the important activities of the Centre.
- Workshops, including international workshops, and short-term training programmes specifically for students, teachers, faculty, researchers, clinicians and agriculture scientists on genomic data generation and analysis.
- Internship programmes for masters’ level students, for advanced training.
- Brain-storming sessions with doctors, industrial scientists, agricultural scientists and so on to create awareness and opportunities for collaboration.
- Collaborative research programmes with hospitals, academia and industry.
- Services in sequencing and data analysis for academia, hospitals and industry.
- Development of tools, techniques, protocols and platforms in the area of NCS and data analysis.
The Bio-IT center comprises a
state-of-the-art facility for NGS, with the high throughput sequencer Hi Seq
2500, which can generate 480-500GB data in 10 days equivalent to sequencing 6
human genomes at 30X coverage. Other equipment in the facility includes Hi-Scan
(Illumina bead-array) for genotyping and Ion-torrent for NGS and Qubit, C-bot,
Covaris, Bio-analyzer and Tape-station for the processing of DNA and RNA
Service is provided in a collaborative program mode or on a purely service basis. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any sequencing requirements