Research Methodology Certificate Course
Registration is now open again to fill the last few seats available. Apply before 26th October 2023!
20 candidates will be selected for this workshop
An overview: This 40 hour course will cover basic research methodology concepts, theory of modern biological research methods, and hands-on training to handle biological data/information and perform computational and statistical methods applicable to modern biological data. The sessions shall be conducted online on Saturday afternoons/evenings or Sundays, over a period of a few months. Offline participation is also encouraged, where possible.
Mode: 1 to 3 hour sessions every Saturday afternoon or on selected holidays, conducted online in a workshop mode (discussions, demonstrations, individual practice, performance review). A test shall be conducted towards the end of the course.
Target Audience: PhD students, and other students and professionals aspiring a research-based career.
Expected course start date: 28th October 2023
- Introduction to research methodology (types of research, study design and types of methods)
- Common practices in searching and retrieving biological data and information (e.g. advanced literature search, NGS data sets, GOs, molecular interactions)
- Selection of available techniques for various research questions (discussions and case studies)
- Biocuration and NLPAs
- A review of commonly used biological databases, tools, and analysis
- Biostatistical research methods (basic principles and commonly used tests; discussions in the context of sample size and study designing)
- An overview of computational programming for biologists (includes basics, Linux operations and a discussion on data analysis with and without programming skills)
- Omics data analysis (concepts in different types of omics and their context; phases of data analysis and expertise required)
- Commonly used current methods for data analysis (e.g., tertiary transcriptomic analysis, interactions among proteins, DNAs & RNAs)
- Visualization methods for presenting results (e.g., multiple types of graphs, heat map generation, interactome)
- Recent trends in technological developments (overview of multiple topics such as CRISPR, synthetic biology, systems biology and artificial intelligence)
- Biosafety, accuracy and precision in laboratory work
All decisions, regarding selections and course related matters, made by the organizers and IBAB director shall be final.
Certificates will be provided upon successful completion of the workshop.
Organised by the Bio-IT Centre at IBAB, Bengaluru
Organizer: Kshitish K Acharya, Professor, IBAB
Registration is now closed. We have received more applications than expected.
Registration fees must be paid within one working day of confirmation of tentative selection
The fees listed below are only for those studying/working in India. If you are studying/working abroad, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for payment details.
|PhD students and Junior research staff (e.g., JRF, project assistant)||9,500|
|Other academic professionals (e.g., post-docs, faculty)||12,000|
About Bio-IT Centre:
The Bio-IT Research and Training Centre (Bio-IT Centre) was established at the Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) in 2010 with support from the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeITY), the Government of India, and the Department of IT, BT and S&T, Government of Karnataka.
IBAB, located in Electronic City, Phase 1, Bengaluru, is a unique institution engaged in education, research, and entrepreneur-supported programs. IBAB’s mission is to catalyze the growth of India’s biotechnology and bioinformatics industries. IBAB offers a unique M.Sc. degree program (with dual specialization in Bioinformatics and Biotechnology), an interdisciplinary Ph.D. research program, and a PostGraduate Diploma Programme (in Big Data Biology). The institute has strong research programs in various disciplines such as Cancer Biology, Infectious Disease Biology, Synthetic Biology, Molecular Parasitology, Microbial Genomics, Structural Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, and Drug Discovery and Mathematical Biology.This is evident by the educational qualification, peer-reviewed publications, academic and industrial collaborations, and teaching experience of well-trained faculty members. The institute has excellent infrastructure and a vibrant environment conducive to cutting-edge research. For more information, please visit https://www.ibab.ac.in/.
With Support From:
The department of IT, BT, and S&T of the Government of Karnataka