Project Title: Discovery and validation of new epigenetic pathways in the malaria parasite as targets for drug design
Project Description: Applications are invited for the position of Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in a DST SERB-funded project in the Molecular Parasitology lab at IBAB, Bengaluru. The successful candidate(s) will work on identification of novel modes of DNA epigenetic regulation in the lethal malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. The project will use a combination of molecular biology, biochemical, cell biological, NGS and bioinformatics techniques. While training will be provided, candidates with relevant hands-on experience will be preferred. The selected candidate can avail on-campus accommodation at IBAB.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree (M.Sc. OR equivalent) in Life Sciences/ Biochemistry/ Molecular Biology/ Biotechnology/ Zoology/ Genetics or related subjects with at least 60% of marks or 6 CGPA from a recognized university.
- Successfully cleared CSIR-UGC NET including lectureship (Assistant Professorship), GATE or other National level exams conducted by Central Government Departments and their Agencies as well as Institutions such as DST, DBT, DAE, DOS, DRDO, MHRD, ICAR, ICMR, IIT, IISc, IISER etc.
- Strong aptitude for laboratory work; should be detail-oriented and organised with the ability to prioritise.
- Ability to carry out maintenance of general laboratory equipment and resources.
- Basic IT skills that include familiarity with Microsoft Office packages and statistical data analyses; experience with programming and NGS analysis will be an added plus.
- Hands-on experience in basic molecular biology techniques, maintenance of cell lines and transfection procedures, microscopy, spectrophotometry, protein purification and/or analytical methods such as HPLC.
- Willingness to learn, and should be a team player.
Remuneration: As per DST norms, Rs 31000 per month plus HRA as admissible
Application deadline: 12th March, 2021
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter outlining their motivation and a CV that clearly demonstrates relevant practical expertise and skills as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to Dr. Shruthi Vembar. The subject line of the email must include “Application for the post of JRF”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
IBAB is an autonomous institute engaged in education, research and entrepreneurial support programs and is based at Electronic City, Bengaluru. The institute offers a unique master’s degree program with dual specialization in bioinformatics and biotechnology as well as an interdisciplinary PhD program. IBAB has research excellence in various disciplines, excellent infrastructure and an environment suitable for cutting-edge research. For more details, visit https://www.ibab.ac.in/research/shruthi-s-vembar/