Prof. H S Subramanya
Director IBAB and Biocon Chair
Research Focus Key Words
Structural Biology, Drug Discovery, X-Ray Crystallography, Drug Targets
With a masters in physics from the University of Mysore Prof. Subramanya received his PhD in structural biology from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He went on to do postdoctoral work at the University of Oxford, UK. After returning to India, he was a faculty member and Assistant Director of the Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow. He then returned to Bangalore, and was associated with Aurigene Discovery Technologies Ltd. From 2002–2014, the latest position being that of Senior Vice President, Lead generation and Structural Biology. He is currently Visiting Professor at the Institute of Trans-Disciplinary Health Sciences and Technology. Prof. Subramanya has 36 publications and 9 patents to his credit.
Ph.D:Indian Institute of Science, Bangaluru, 1993
Postdoctoral Research:University of Oxford, UK, 1993-1998
Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, 1998-2002
Aurigene Discovery Technologies, Bengaluru, 2002-2014
Research Interest Profile
We are interested in understanding structure function relationship of proteins using structural biology tools such as X-ray Crystallography, Cryo-EM and Structural Bioinformatics. We intend to design and develop novel drug molecules against specific target proteins.
- Aparna M. S. (research assistant)
- Samhitha Urs. R (research assistant)
- Dr. Shobana P (post-doctoral fellow)
- Dr. Ithayaraja M (post-doctoral fellow)
- Arushi (MSc intern)
Dr. C M Gupta
- A.K. Mohamad Fairus, B. Choudhary, S. Hosahalli, N. Kavitha, O. Shatrah,
Dihydroorotate dehydrogenase (DHODH) inhibitors affect ATP depletion, endogenous ROS and mediate S-phase arrest in breast cancer cells, Biochimie, 2017
- Iskandar Abdullah, Chin Fei Chee, Yean-Kee Lee, Siva Sanjeeva Rao Thunuguntla, K Satish Reddy, Kavitha Nellore,Thomas Antony, Jitender Verma, Kong Wai Mun, Shatrah Othman, Hosahalli Subramanya, Noorsaadah Abd Rahman
Benzimidazole derivatives as potential dual inhibitors for PARP-1 and DHODH.
Bioorg Med Chem, 2015 Aug 5;23 (15): 4669-80.
- Narasimha Rao, K., Lakshminarasimhan, A., Joseph, S., Lekshmi, S. U., Lau, M.-S., Takhi, M., Sreenivas, K., Nathan, S., Yusof, R., Abd. Rahman, N., Ramachandra, M., Antony, T. and Subramanya, H.
AFN-1252 is a potent inhibitor of enoyl-ACP reductase from Burkholderia pseudomallei Crystal structure, mode of action, and biological activity, Protein Science, 2015, 24, 832–840.
- Rajeev Goswami, Gerd Wohlfahrt, Subhendu Mukherjee, Chakshusmathi Ghadiyaram, Jwala Nagaraj, Leena K Satyam,Krishnaprasad Subbarao, Sreevalsam Gopinath, Narasimha R Krishnamurthy, Hosahalli S Subramanya, Murali Ramachandra
Discovery of O-(3-carbamimidoylphenyl)-l-serine amides as matriptase inhibitors using a fragment-linking approach. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2015 Feb 17, 25(3), 616-20
- M V V V Sekhar Reddy, Chakshumathi Ghadiyaram, Sunil Kumar Panigrahi, Narasimha Rao Krishnamurthy, Subramanya Hosahalli, Arun P Chandrasekharappa, Deepankar Manna, Sangamesh E Badiger, Pramod K Dubey, Lakshmi Narasu Mangamoori
X-ray structure of PTP1B in complex with a new PTP1B inhibitor. Protein Pept Lett., 2014 ;21(1):90-3
- Mohamed Takhi, Kandepu Sreenivas, Chandrashekar K. Reddy, Mahadari Munikumar, Kolakota Praveena, Pabolu Sudheer, Bandaru N.V.M. Rao, Gollamudi Ramakanth, Jampala Sivaranjani, Shardaprasad Mulik, Yeruva R. Reddy, Krishnamurthy Narasimha Rao, Rentala Pallavi, Anirudha Lakshminarasimhan, Sunil K. Panigrahi, Thomas Antony, Iskandar Abdullah, Yean K. Lee, Murali Ramachandra, Rohana Yusof, Noorsaadah A. Rahman, Hosahalli Subramanya
Discovery of azetidine based ene-amides as potent bacterial enoyl ACP reductase (FabI) inhibitor. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Volume 84, 12 September 2014, Pages 382-394.
- Vishnu Basetti, Rangarao Pallepati, Emima Thadi, Subramanya Hosahalli and Vijay Potluri
A facile synthesis of 7,12-dihydro-1,3,6,7,12-pentaazapleiadenes by domino reaction. Heterocycl. Commun. 2014; 20(4): 207–214
- Rajeev Goswami, Subhendu Mukherjee, Chakshusmathi Ghadiyaram, Gerd Wohlfahrt, Ramesh K Sistla, Jwala Nagaraj, Leena K Satyam, Krishnaprasad Subbarao, Rajendra K Palakurthy, Sreevalsam Gopinath, Narasimha R Krishnamurthy, Tarja Ikonen, Anu Moilanen, Hosahalli S Subramanya, Pekka Kallio, Murali Ramachandra
Structure-guided discovery of 1,3,5 tri-substituted benzenes as potent and selective matriptase inhibitors exhibiting in vivo antitumor efficacy. Bioorg Med Chem 2014 Jun 18;22(12):3187-203.
- Rajeev Goswami, Subhendu Mukherjee, Gerd Wohlfahrt, Chakshusmathi Ghadiyaram, Jwala Nagaraj, Beeram Ravi Chandra, Ramesh K. Sistla, Leena K Satyam, Dodheri S. Samiulla, Anu Moilanen, Hosahalli S. Subramanya, and Murali Ramachandra
Discovery of Pyridyl Bis(oxy)dibenzimidamide Derivatives as Selective Matriptase Inhibitors. ACS Med. Chem. Lett., 2013, 4 (12), pp 1152–1157
- Reddy MV, Ghadiyaram C, Panigrahi SK, Hosahalli S, Mangamoori LN
Diphenylether derivative as selective inhibitor of protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) over t-cell protein tyrosine phosphatase (TCPTP) identified through virtual screening. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2013 Oct; 13 (11):1602-6
- Venkateshwar Rao Gummadi, Sujatha Rajagopalan, Looi Chung Yeng, Mohammadjavad Paydar, Girish Aggunda Renukappa, Bharathi Raja Ainan, Narasimha Rao Krishnamurthy, Sunil Kumar Panigrahi, Kumari Mahasweta, Sangeeth Raghuramachandran, Manoj Rajappa, Anuradha Ramanathan, Anirudha Lakshminarasimhan, Murali Ramachandra, Wong Pooi Fong, Mohammad Rais Mustafa, Srinivas Nanduri, Subramanya Hosahalli
Discovery of 7-azaindole based anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) inhibitors: Wild type and mutant (L1196M) active compounds with unique binding mode. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Volume 23, Issue 17, 1 September 2013, Pages 4911–4918
- Vishnu Basetti, Rangarao Pallepati, Subramanya Hosahalli and Vijay Potluri
A facile synthesis of tetracyclic benzo-pyridonaphthyridines by domino reaction. Tetrahedron Letters, Volume 54, Issue 15, 10 April 2013, Pages 2014-2017